2.09.2008

Zombography or Blank of the Dead

So I have just (mostly) finished watching every zombie movie one could imagine (actually really just those that end in "of the dead".

I'll list them all and give some trivia/ratings.

Night of the Living Dead: A classic movie that breaks racial stereotypes and sets stereotypes for Zombies. The first movie to include flesh hungry self-directing zombies (in the past they'd always just done the bidding of witchdoctors - as coincides with Zombie lore). Trivia: It's a public domain movie - so you could release your own dvd copy. IMDb has 26 different "versions" allegedly.

Dawn of the Dead (1978): Awesome zombie movie about survivors holing up in a mall and living it up while the world outside dies. Great social commentary and character relationship development. Don't go shopping at a mall right after you watch this (as Luke and I did) you feel like everyone is a Zombie. Trivia: It was filmed in a mall at night since they couldn't just shut down a mall to film a small scale movie. So they needed to clean everything up before the muzak would come on (which they couldn't figure out how to turn off). They also needed to take a break from filming when the Christmas decorations went up.

Day of the Dead: I was disappointed by this one. It was boring. It has a cult following and I can't figure out why.

Return of the Living Dead: A satire of the whole Zombie movie craze. A good movie. I wouldn't recommend watching it with with your parents (as if you'd watch a Zombie movie with your parents) because one of the main characters spends the whole movie naked (did I just spoil the movie? At least I didn't tell you they turn into a zombie, oh crap). Trivia: The first Zombie movie to feature fast moving zombies and the whole "Brains" thing.

Dawn of the Dead (2004): Definitely a good re-make of Dawn of the Dead. I think that at this point of being a Zombie-snob I prefer the original. Trivia: Sarah Polley from Road to Avonlea is the main character. If Road to Avonlea didn't have enough of her killing Zombies this movie is for you.

Shaun of the Dead: Great parody on the Zombie horror movie. A good zombie movie in itself. Interesting in that it made people who would never watch a zombie movie or a horror movie watch it. My favourite review of the movie is when people are upset by the gore in it. YOU RENTED A ZOMBIE MOVIE! WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?!?! Well the paper told me it was good. IT'S STILL A ZOMBIE MOVIE!

Land of the Dead: Return to the Romero slow moving zombie. After the Dawn of the Dead / 28 Days Later "Zombie" made it cool to have running zombies.

All this was done to prepare me for Diary of the Dead, which is coming out soon and is another foray of Zimbie-king George A. Romero into the genre he created. I am very excited, but doubt that any of my friends will want to go and see it.

I wonder what the movie would be like if it was Dairy of the Dead? Maybe zombie cows? Zombie farmers? Somesort of new trendy milk commercial that we'll see for the next 5 years like the skateboarding farmers. Hmmmmm. Trivia: Mike Paglia's band from Waterloo did the music for the skating-farmer commercials. Wally lived across the hall from them.



What have I gather from all of my "research"?:
a. I prefer the slow-moving Zombie, they add more to the suspense.
b. I find myself judging the buildings that I am in on how zombie-proof they are.


"They're coming to get your Barbara" 6:10

6 comments:

Tyler said...

Caleb, you are taking the hlog to new heights of greatness.

Amanda Bast said...

I agree. But we must emphasize that it is CALEB and only CALEB taking the hlog to new heights of greatness.

Unknown said...

Mike Paglia's band from Waterloo did the music for those "got milk" skating farmer commercials, I used to live across the hallway from them. That would be a good cute little italicized trivia tidbit for you.

The Leb said...

why thank you. I figure it was my idea and I should try and keep it afloat.

That Mook fellow is especially lagging.

That definitely would be a good trivia bit Wally.

Amanda Bast said...

LAGGER! LUKE IS A LAGGER!

The Leb said...

Lagger S. Allen is going on a cruise soon, if he doesn't write anything about it he's going to be getting some comeuppance.